Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

How You Can Help Foim, #4

In honor of fall, and going back to school - I'd like to ask you to help FOIM today by becoming more educated, yourself, about the positive benefits of homebirth attended by a midwife. We can say it again and again, that birth is normal, and that a healthy pregnancy and birth can easily happen at home -- but it helps to know your facts! Here are some documents that you should check out this week, as a way to help FOIM legalize and regulate midwifery practice in our state:

1. The Milbank Report -- this one is long, but good
3. Our FOIM Factsheets on the Yahoo page!

Happy Studying!

-Renee

3 comments:

Megan said...

Wonderful!! So informative and helpful when writing letters to our Reps and Sens! Thanks!

kelsey lynne said...

Thanks so much for this information!

earthmama said...

Hello FOIM crew! I wasn't sure where to post this or who to send to, so thought I'd do it here. Recently I was in touch with Megan Reuther, a reporter for the WHO channel 13 news here in DSM. She asked me if I had any story ideas and I jumped on that chance to suggest she do a story on the efforts to license CPMs in Iowa, since this relates to the current healthcare debates and the issue of safe, affordable maternity care options for women in Iowa. After turning her down when she asked if they could send out a cameraman to capture a few moments of early labor for our upcoming home birth (um, NO!!!), she asked if we would do an interview in a month or so, after the birth, to tell our story of why we chose homebirth and a midwife. I really think she should be talking to you all, who are the real steering committee behind helping CPMs become licensed in IA. I know a couple of you personally and could pass on names to her, but thought it would be useful to ask if you already have people in FOIM designated to talk to reporters or do PR work, and I can send her directly to them. She's planning on doing the story for sure, as I understand it, as long as her producer gives the final okay. I imagine it would air in a month or more.... If done right, I really think this would bring maternity care and homebirth and midwifery to the public eye a bit more and give it the necessary airing it deserves to get this issue further off the ground!