Pages

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Letter from a Homebirth Father

My husband Brian wrote this letter to our legislator this month. Feel free to use it as an example of the way a homebirth supporter who ISN'T a Mom can appeal to lawmakers!

My name is Brian Whitehead and I am writing today to discuss my experience with homebirth.

Nine moths ago my wife gave birth to our daughter Robin in our home with a midwife and two doulas. The experience was - as anyone who has had a baby knows - grueling, difficult and exhausting, but by chosing to undergo this life-changing event at home I was able to be an integral part of my wife's labor and our daughter's birth. I have talked to other fathers who had the misfortune of having traditional hospitals births with their wives and it is my opinion that homebirthing is the superior option.

Our birth was overseen by a trained, competent professional. It was safe and inexpensive. It allowed us to have this rare and special event transpire in the comfort and familiarity of our own home.

I am relatively new to Iowa, having moved here four years ago to get my MA from the University of Iowa. As someone who plans on spending my future and raising a family in this state, I cannot remain silent while this practice is still - inexplicably - not fully protected by law.

Please consider my experience when making legislative decisions in the future.

Brian Whitehead

No comments: