Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Create a website to raise money for FOIM!

Hey everyone! I just used a really simple, free website service to create a page to raise money for FOIM. Since we are having a Walk for Midwives in Iowa City this October, I'm taking the opportunity to use my social networking and ask friends and family for help as we work towards our goals this year.

It's Easy.
I used the website Weebly to set up my site very quickly. It allowed me to drag and drop elements I wanted to use and upload pictures.

To create a paypal donation button, you'll first need to create a paypal account. Once that's taken care of, click "services" and then "get paid." The site will generate a donate button. On Weebly, drag and drop "custom html" and then copy and paste the button code into that box.

I used the website Ticker Factory to create the fundraising ticker. Again, drag and drop "custom html" and then c&p the code into the box.

PLEASE NOTE: Being "sponsored" is NOT a requirement to participate in this or ANY walk in October!!
I'm doing this of my own accord because...


It's Smart

With email, twitter, and facebook, publicity is already taken care of. How many times have YOU had friends or family ask you to sponsor them as they walked or ran for a cause? By sharing your website using social media you're already using, you raise awareness and money without hassling people or feeling embarrassed. I personally plan to post a link to my website once or twice a week until the day of the walk, and offer different reasons to donate money. Even if I only raise $100, that's a huge help to FOIM! That covers postage for our packets to legislators, the fee for an event, or a FULL DAY OF our lobbyist working on our behalf at the capitol. All from taking 30 minutes to create a site and share it on facebook.

It's Necessary

We have very ambitious fundraising goals this year (more details TBA). This year more than ever, FOIM needs support so that we can make our biggest push to license CPMs in Iowa in 2011. I have never asked family or friends who aren't in town, or who aren't parents, to support FOIM. Now I am asking them to support me and my personal stake in this issue.

My goal is to raise $500, enough to support a full week of lobbying. You can see my fundraising page here. I will update to share with you how well it goes!

1 comment:

Susan Jenkins said...

Hi Lauren,
Some great ideas here. All of us at the Big Push are expecting great things from Iowa this year and are cheering you on!
Susan